Friday, June 14, 2013

3 week recovery

Three weeks ago today, I had surgery. I still have one drain (the other fell out in the shower just over a week post-op). I feel like I have a large rubberband in my left armpit every time I lift my arm. Sometimes, I have to almost rotate my arm in order to lift it; and even then, it feels like the rubberband is stretching and is about to snap.

I have an appointment today, and was hopeful the drain could be removed - not going to happen. I'm beginning to think it will never be removed. I'm slowly becoming more independent once again; driving myself to my appointments, running small errands, trying to help out more with housework and cooking dinner. I'm enjoying my time off from work so far, but beginning to look forward to returning. I'm not yet sure when I'll begin chemotherapy; maybe that will be determined today at my appointment, or possibly next week. I had an echocardiogram Wednesday morning and while it was basically a sono of my heart, it was painful to do post-op. The tech (not realizing I had a left side mastectomy) asked me to lie on my left side with my arm above my head. Ok, these are two things I can't WAIT to do! As a side sleeper, not being able to sleep on my left side is not making me happy. I can sleep on my right side, but it's not as comfortable as it used to be, and I have to be careful of the drain coming out of my left side, and make sure it doesn't pull or tug. So, during the echo, we modified the position to what I could do comfortably. I also had to have contrast, so a nurse came in and give me an IV for the contrast. I also had to pee in a cup for a pregnancy test, which was clearly going to be negative; what do they think I'm doing during recovery for the past three weeks!? So humiliating and unfair that guys don't have to disclose the last time they got lucky by peeing in a cup when they go to the doctor!

Just trying to find humorous ways to pass my time as of now. I have spent more time on Facebook in the last three weeks than I probably have the last two years. Hopefully soon I can occupy my time in a much better capacity - work! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment